Soft tissue & bone tumors can be benign or cancerous. Sarcoma is a family of cancers that form in the soft tissues (muscle, fat, nerves, tendons and vessels of the circulatory and lymph systems) and in bone. Sarcomas are rare in adults, but they are more common in children. The first symptom people with sarcoma may notice is a painless lump in soft tissue or a bony swelling which may be painful. Many people notice soft tissue sarcoma only after an unrelated injury draws attention to that part of the body.
Common Types of Tumors
- Benign: Lipoma, nerve tumor(neurofibroma/schwanoma), ganglion, dermoid, sebaceous cyst
- Sarcoma: Rhabdomyosarcoma/leiomyosarcoma/liposarcoma/fibro sarcoma etc.
- Benign: Enchondroma, aneurysmal bone cyst, giant cell tumor
- Sarcoma: Osteosarcoma/chondrosarcoma / Ewings sarcoma etc.
Sarcoma Diagnosis and Staging
All the soft tissue and bone tumors may not be cancerous. Horizon Cancer Care provides state-of-the-art diagnostic imaging and techniques to diagnose sarcoma (MRI/CT/PET) besides performing minimally invasive biopsies. Our pathology service meets world standards and can diagnose even the rarest conditions, which is crucial for sarcoma treatment.
Sarcoma Specialty Care Services
Surgical Services for Sarcoma: Surgery is the primary treatment for soft tissue/bone tumors
- Minimally Invasive Surgery ( laparoscopic) for abdominal Sarcoma like GIST if small/medium
- Limb-Sparing Surgery for Sarcoma to avoid having the limb removed.
- Plastic or Reconstructive Surgery helps restore the body’s cosmetic appearance or physical function.
- Surgery for Recurrent or Metastatic Sarcoma.
Soft Tissue Sarcoma: Limb sparing wide resection and reconstruction/ compartment resection
Retroperitoneal Sarcoma: Complete resection of sarcoma with multi-organ resection.
- Limb Sparing Surgery (LSS): Mega prosthesis are used to avoid amputation
- Resection of chest wall and clavicle tumours
- Shoulder and pelvic girdle resections
- Head & neck sarcoma surgery
Amputations (including fore quarter and hind quarter) hemipelvectomy ect..
Giant Cell Tumors: Curettage & bone cement/graft
Medical Oncology Services for Sarcoma chemotherapy and biologic targeted therapies
Radiation Therapy for Sarcoma
EBRT: IMRT/IGRT/ Radio surgery/ Cyber Knife® and Trilogy™ radiation delivery systems
High-Dose Rate Brachytherapy for Sarcoma: Reduces injury to healthy tissue & allows for a higher dose of radiation than other methods, which can make treatment more effective.